|Courtesy Ad Age Magazine|
Ad Age, the leading publication on advertising, marketing and branding recently released a comprehensive report that includes 30 case studies examining brand strategies as well as 32 videos of ads and viral content. It is a very well written and well researched piece that is certainly worth the subscription price. Yes, it is a fee based article to read and view the videos. If you are in the industry and deal with branding daily, I highly recommend that you read it in full. For the rest of you here are a few thoughts.
They outline ten global brands, ten regional brands and ten local brands. Some you will have heard of and know a lot about, Nike, McDonald's, Facebook and Ikea for instance. Other great regional brands such as South Africa's Nando's, a chicken QSR with great advertising and Chinese 'local' brand Li-Ning, a multi-faceted sports and sporting apparel company.
For the rest you will have to read the white paper.
Here are a few of my thoughts as I read the paper:
- Now more than ever, a consistent brand strategy and brand platform is imperative.
- Local and regional brands are embracing their heritage, but looking and acting much more global.
- Social media and the Internet have forever changed how we look at brands.
- The U.S. no longer has a monopoly on strong brands and advertising.
- Brand immersion and experiential marketing are vital everywhere.
- Successful brands are looking to multiple touch-points with their consumers via multiple product lines and activities.